CALL FOR ACTION
We all live in a globalized world. Indeed, we especially feel the implications of globalization each day at work. In our industry, shipping lines are grouped into a few alliances and port operators concentrate and develop the same strategies to achieve the same goals in ports around the world. Faced with this reality, the International Dockworkers Council (IDC), in conjunction with the International Transport Federation (ITF), will coordinate an HOUR OF OBSERVANCE TO THE FALLEN AND ACTION, set to take place:
JULY 7th, 2016 AT 8:00 AM
This DAY OF GLOBAL ACTION is a historical experience. It is the first time the world will carry out a collective action which highlights the contribution of dockworkers to the world economy, and which speaks to the professional risks involved in their work. This action will display the resolve of these works to defend not only the security of their jobs, but also their working conditions, dignity, and collective bargaining power.
In my capacity as General Coordinator IDC, I appeal to all affiliated to the Council and to port workers at larger, to participate actively in this action.
This step will be the first and you have to give the port the world.
NEVER AGAIN WILL WE WALK ALONE!
Jordi Aragunde Miguens
IDC General Coordinator
INFORMATION ON THE DAY OF ACTION AND MATERIALS
We want to see action being taken locally, regionally and globally on 7 July around these key issues:
- Health & safety
- Precarious work
- Respect for collective bargaining rights and agreements
- Labour standards in global companies
- Automation and social justice
ACTIVITIES AND SOCIAL MEDIA
Organise an activity for 1h at 8am to support the day of action/observance. Use the campaign materials (in English, French, German and Spanish) to support your actions.
Take photos and video clips during your actions and share them on social media. Share with us on the event page on Facebook and on twitter @ITFglobalunion @ETFdockers @IDC_Dockers and use the hashtag #DefendDockersRights
INFORMATION AND MATERIALS
Information and downloads available at:
You may download from the website, or at the links below (except for the high resolution banner)
- A briefing for dockers (for your ports, also attached)
- A leaflet aimed at the public and employers (for public use, also attached)
- A placard you can feature in your photos.Print out copies and get dockers to write why they’re proud of the job they do plus their name and locaiton. Here’s an example. (also attached)
- A banner design that you can add your own logo to and use in your activities.BANNER DESIGN (only for download)
- Jpeg files with the horizontal and square event banner for use in social media (attached)
Don’t forget whatever you’re planning tell us about it and share as many pictures and video clips on Facebook and on twitter @ITFglobalunion @ETFdockers @IDC_Dockers and use the hashtag #DefendDockersRights. We want to send a loud and clear message that dockers are fighting back!